The Troutgirl test
May 4, 2005
Everyone in the business knows and agrees with the Joel Test to figure out whether a software organization is top-notch (or even minimally functional — the difference between the two levels may be small). I have to add a couple points of my own, specific to web sites and services:
- Is the process to set up a dev environment fully documented?
- Do you solemnly swear that your devs never ever EVER edit code on the live servers?
- Do your devs meet with operations to discuss deployment concerns before they start writing code?
- Does development and QA occur against a data set at least one-tenth the size of the live service?
- Is webdev part of the engineering organization rather than part of product management or design?
- Is someone in your organization being evaluated on how well the development and staging servers are maintained?
Remember, boys and girls — feel free to ask these questions during your job interviews! If the company can’t answer yes to all of them, think twice about taking the offer.